Friday, August 26, 2011

I Fell in Love with Carl Sandburg



Last night, I fell in love with Carl Sandburg. A little late, I know, and he did have the perfect helpmate with his wonderful wife. But still... I couldn't help it. Those eyes, that mind, that mission!


I saw the wonderful documentary, "The Day Carl Sandburg Died" at the Flatrock Cinema in Flatrock NC, just a few miles from Sandburg's mountain home. www.thedaycarlsandburgdied.com is where you can find out more and see events. It is not in wide distribution, but at this time in our country's history, it should be.


As a poet, I felt remiss in never having read his poems. I loved one of his own comments about how modern poetry was being written with the brain but with no blood. Passion and vision, both are in his poetry and no one could ever doubt his great love for 'the people'.


I'll be taking a notepad and heading to his Appalachian home, Connemara Farms, to see if his Spirit still walks the beautiful grounds and will inspire my pen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Shellie! Would love to see a poem of his you enjoy along with it. I'm glad you got to visit with Carl. I remember his poem about my hometown, Chicago very well. It set the standard for homages to great cities.

    ReplyDelete