Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Bronte Sisters revealed...



The woman pictured here is Charlotte Bronte, author of Jane Eyre and the subject of a wonderful novel, The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte (wish I could see how to insert the dots over the 'e'). Author Syrie James was given access to never before seen letters, diaries and other information. She chose to write her book as if it is Charlotte herself and reads much like a Bronte novel. It is a great success in my opinion. I feel like I know Charlotte and her sisters Emily and Anne and have a wonderful insight into the time period (early to mid 1800's, small town England).

This might be an idealized portrait, but Charlotte is hardly the 'plain, ugly spinster' that she imagined she was. Her love story with curate Arthur Nicholls is as compelling as anything she wrote.

I'm told James also has a book on Jane Austen (who preceded Charlotte in time frame) and I will be getting that as soon as possible. If you loved Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights (Emily's classic), you will love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment